Visitors to The Roaches ignoring pleas not to light fires

VISITORS to a popular Staffordshire Moorlands spot are ignoring pleas not to have barbecues or camp fires because of an increased fire risk.

A smouldering camp fire was spotted at Doxey's Pool, at The Roaches, near Leek, earlier today (June 3).

Staffordshire Wildlife Trust were alerted and visited the site to extinguish an area of smouldering peat.

The recent spell of hot spell has increased the risk of fire on the district's expanse of moorland which has become dry and flammable.

Two years ago a disposable barbecue sparked a 200-acres blaze on The Roaches estate. Wildlife was devastated and there was a huge huge loss of habitat.

Firefighters spent several weeks tackling the outbreak and were called to other incidents in remote areas across the district.

A Staffordshire Wildlife Trust spokesman said: "We're so lucky the area didn't go up overnight and we need people to stop camping overnight and stop having portable barbecues. No campfires, no open fires, please."

Pictured: Firefighters tackling the serious blaze on the The Roaches in 2018.



9 views

© 2020 Lasar Radio | All Rights Reserved

    Site Created By Lasar Radio

Get In Touch:

Call: 01538 528 466

Text: 07376 194 154

Find us: 

20-22 Bank House, St Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DS.