Quick-thinking postie Mark up for an award after saving home

A POSTMAN has been nominated for a prestigious award, after his quick-thinking stopped an elderly couple's in the Staffordshire Moorlands from going up in flames.

Mark Brough, 47, from Leek, was delivering mail in Rennie Crescent, Cheddleton, when he smelt burning from a house.

"I heard a smoke alarm was going off and I could smell burning," he told The Sentinel.

After being unable to enter the locked property, Mark managed to get a spare key from a neighbour to check if anyone was inside.

He added: "I checked all the rooms and discovered that no-one was in. I then had to go outside as the smoke was so bad. I then went in again to grab a tea towel on an electric hob, which was on fire".

Mark took the burning tea towel outside and stamp on it to put it out, before returning indoors to ventilate the smoke-filled building.

A man from a neighbouring property also came around and helped me. It was lucky that the neighbour had a key," said Mark, who added modestly: "I suppose it was just a day in the life of a postman as, besides delivering letters, you can help people."



0 views

© 2020 Lasar Radio | All Rights Reserved

    Site Created By Lasar Radio

Get In Touch:

Call: 01538 528 466

Text: 07376 194 154

Find us: 

20-22 Bank House, St Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DS.